Steven R. Cohen
- Partner and Principal Shareholder
Steven R. Cohen is a name partner and principal shareholder in Selikoff & Cohen.
Steven has represented unions and union members before the New Jersey Supreme Court and other state trial and appellate courts, the Public Employment Relations Commission, the Office of Administrative Law, the State Board of Education, and other state agencies as well as in TEACHNJ and other teacher tenure proceedings for more than 45 years. Areas of expertise include workplace discrimination and accommodation claims, union contract negotiation, tenure rights claims, unfair labor practices, union representation petitions, tenure charges and other disciplinary matters.
Steven was Chair of the New Jersey State Bar Association's Labor and Employment Law Section from 2009-2011, and is also a former Master of the Sidney Reitman Employment Law American Inn of Court. He is currently a member of the Section's Executive Committee and Sidney H. Lehmann Award Committee, as well as the State Bar Association's Legislative Committee. Steven is also a Fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers and a Martindale Hubbell® "AV" rated attorney and is listed in Super Lawyers®, Best Lawyers in America®, and Best Lawyers® in New Jersey.
Selection criteria for Martindale Hubbell®, Super Lawyers®, and Best Lawyers® may be obtained from martindale.com, superlawyers.com, and bestlawyers.com. The Supreme Court of New Jersey has not approved this advertisement.
Watch Steven argue a case before the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- J.D. - 1976
- B.A. - 1973
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Co-author, Chapter 19 of Employment Litigation in New Jersey (LexisNexis 2006)
- Rozenblit v. Lyles, 245 N.J. 105 (2021)
- Woodland Tp. Bd. of Educ. v. Chatsworth Educ. Ass’n, 45 NJPER ¶ 24 (2018)
- Delanco Bd. of Educ. v. Delanco Tp. Educ. Ass’n, 45 NJPER ¶ 26 (2018)
- Matter of Cty. of Atlantic, 230 N.J. 237 (2017)
- In re Sinko, 210 N.J. 150 (2012)
- Medford Tp. Bd. of Educ. v. Medford Educ. Ass’n, 201 N.J. 438 (2009)
- Mt. Holly Tp. Bd. of Educ. v. Mt. Holly Educ. Ass’n, 199 N.J. 319 (2009)
- Pascack Valley Reg’l High Sch. Bd. of Educ. v. Pascack Valley Reg’l Support Staff Ass'n, 192 N.J. 489 (2007)
- Northvale Bd. of Educ. v. Northvale Educ. Ass'n., 192 N.J. 501 (2007)
- City of Cape May v. Colosi, 325 N.J. Super. 288 (App. Div. 1999)
- Gimello v. Agency Rent A Car, 250 N.J. Super. 338 (App. Div. 1991)
- In re Wolf, 231 N.J. Super. 365 (App. Div. 1989)
- Maurice River Tp. Bd. of Educ. v. Maurice River Tp. Teachers Ass'n., 193 N.J. Super. 488 (App. Div. 1984)
- Commc'ns Workers of Am., AFL CIO v. Pub. Emp. Rels. Comm'n, 193 N.J. Super. 658 (App. Div), certif. den. 99 N.J. 169 (1984)
Professional Associations And Memberships
- New Jersey State Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section Executive Committee member, Chair (2009-2011), 1st Vice Chair (2007-2009), 2nd Vice Chair (2005-2007), Treasurer (2003-2005), Secretary (2001-2003), Sidney H. Lehmann Award Committee
- New Jersey State Bar Association Legislative Committee
- College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- National Employment Lawyers Association